It's Fashion Friday with the London Fashion Week and one of my favourite designers, Mr. Tom Ford. He showed his AW 2012-13 womenswear collection at the LFW for invited guests only and no photographing was allowed. While we are waiting for exclusive photos we will just have to believe the fashion journalists who have described the collection as classic, beautiful and glamorous, just to give you some adjectives. Someone even said it would change your life, which is maybe pushing it just a bit too far.
Instead of me telling you about Tom Ford, I find it best to simply let him do so in his own words. Here is a full version of the Tom Ford episode of Visionaries: Inside the Creative Mind, a documentary from the Oprah Winfrey Network. (Let's hope it won't be removed from YouTube.)
My favourite part is in minute four when he starts talking about his childhood, how picky he was about clothes, looks, even furniture, from an early age. He cracked me up when he started talking about the shoes that he thought were just wrong. I have to add that it reminded me of my own picky son and made me wonder if I'm raising a little Tom Ford in this house. wink Please listen carefully from about minute thirty of the video when he talks about the pumped-up look of women and then his sometimes mixed feelings about what the fashion industry is telling people, the way it promotes materialism. I like his honesty.
A few Tom Ford links for fun:
• the trailer of the above documentary for those who don't have time to watch the whole thing right away
• in the March 2012 issue of Harper's Bazaar US we get 24 hours in the life of the designer
• I hope no one has forgotten his film A Single Man (2009), starring Colin Firth and Julianne Moore
• Tom Ford: Ten Years by Graydon Carter and Bridget Foley is a book that covers his design for Gucci and YSL from 1994-2004 and so much more
• remember his SS 2011 fashion show video, the one I posted last year, with the womenswear comeback collection, featuring Beyoncé, Daphne Guinness and other fabulous women?
• Full Time Ford is a blog you may want to add to your blogroll if you are a Tom Ford fan
Let's move on to some London Fashion Week's photos and links:
• the photos above were taken by Garance Doré at her show, I easily could have posted them all
• a collection of fun LFW videos for those who want more than runway photos
• The Sartorialist was at the Burberry show, please take a look at the audience in the background as well
• the photos below are from a LFW street style slide show captured by Phil Oh for Vogue.com, I'd like to add Clémence Poésy's shirt to my wish list
Speaking of street style, here are non-LFW-related links:
• Petra of the Indivisualism blog shared this short and funny note to street style photographers and the poseurs. I urge you to read it. I have to say that there are of course talented photographers out there and people with style. But then there's the Garance Doré-&-The-Sartorialist wannabes and the people hoping their outfits will bring them fame, and honestly I think some of them really should just go home, take a cold shower and get a life
• and since we are making some fun, with all respect for Olivia Palermo, if I see one more photo of her wearing the floral print trousers and leopard shoes I will start pulling out my hair ... no, I won't link to it, enough is enough!
• I have posted the second and third Pardon My French videos by Garance Doré on the LatteLisa Facebook page, I love those and the latest one includes the charming Diane von Furstenberg
Have a fabulous Friday!
1: Simon Perry for Harper's Bazaar US
2-3: Garance Doré at Mary Katrantzou
4-6: Phil Oh for Vogue.com
YouTube: Tom Ford OWN Visionaries documentary