Wednesday, 25 April 2012

cocoa brown & pink living room


I'm fascinated with Barry Dixon's design of this Capitol Hill row house. I love the use of the cocoa brown and pink colours in the living room, a combination I don't remember having seen before in any home, and how beautifully the hallway echoes the space. I love the reading nooks on both sides of the fireplace and the unconventional arrangement of the furniture.

The designer said in an interview with House Beautiful that because of the size of the room they didn't want to block the fireplace with a sofa. "So we threw in a curve, literally, with that round ottoman. It's the nucleus of the room, and there's a feeling that those two chairs are in orbit around it, almost like a clock."

When the interviewer said it looked like "a modern version of a Victorian tête-à-tête," Dixon replied: "It is, in a way. This is a Victorian row house ... Those were called courting benches in their time—they were meant to keep a man and a woman from actually touching each other while they sat in a Victorian drawing room. It's an echo from the past."


The rest of the house is just as beautiful and you can view it by clicking the link below.

Have a wonderful day!
photo credit:
Jonny Valiant for House Beautiful

18 comments:

  1. wow, stunning. not quite my style of furniture, but I love the colours, and the furniture arrangement is really different. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s not a colour combination that I am normally drawn to but I think the inclusion of old-fashioned light fittings and the thick fabrics really makes it work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely aparttment!

    check out also my blog

    kisses,
    xx ketty xx

    http://chicmaniapourtoi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This living room design would be so perfect for many houses over here! They all have this small'ish living room with a fire place and two "gaps" on each side and usually people just put Tv in one corner, shelves in the other and a sofa against the opposite wall. So boring and square where as this one is just charming and light and airy and absolutely gorgeous!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The round distribution is very interesting. I adore the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely and so girly combination!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen this colour combination in homes, but I have worn it in outfits. It is so elegant! And this room is so beautifully decorated. Thinking outside the box. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I really love this combination; the pink is a perfect subtle dusty shade + the brown is rather elegant + lovely. Gorgeous combination! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really interesting to read of the history behind them. Crikes, how times have changed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never seen a chair arrangement like that. We have had to cover our clsoed fireplace with the TV (only place it fits in the room) it is a shame though because the fireplace is nicely decorated with mouldings and a mirror on top (the typical British way) Wish I could arrange the furniture in the room better. Maybe I'll try something like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it, Lisa! Purple and light pink and cocoa brown! That round ottoman looks like a delicious cake and the Victorian inspiration - man and the woman apart - is so lovely. So many ideas to decorate your house,uffff...:*

    ReplyDelete
  12. This color combination is used a lot in bedrooms here (especially young girls and teens), but is new and crisp for the living room. It's lovely for this architecture!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah there is something very special about Victorian houses. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! I love that color combo. And I also love row houses. J's sister used to live in a fabulous one in DC years ago. I often think of it to this day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is an absolutely gorgeous home! I love the colour palette, those touches of pink are just beautiful. So pretty, thank you for sharing Lisa! x

    Kate {Something Fabulous}
    http://thesomethingfabulous.blogspot.com

    {BESO HANDBAGS GIVEAWAY ON MY BLOG!}

    ReplyDelete
  16. Browns, pinks and golds are such an elegant combo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the narrow bench seats either side of the fireplace! Such a dreamy home :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That mirror is absolutely stunning! Love it. And the ottoman with the armchairs (echoing a loveseat) - just lovely. I like that circular rug too! :)x

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover