Tuesday 18 December 2012

Coffee & Grace

Grace: A Memoir by Grace Coddington · Lisa Hjalt


The postman rang the bell yesterday with my Christmas Amazon package and I said to A there was no way he would be allowed to gift wrap my things and put them under the tree, the reading would start right away! He didn't even think of rejecting; he is quite well aware of my love affair with books.

The one in the photo is a book I have been waiting for ever since I learned of its writing, Grace: A Memoir by Grace Coddington, the creative director of Vogue US. I started reading it yesterday and it's very entertaining. I read in an interview with her recently that she doesn't really read books; that she mainly looks at books with photographs for inspiration. For a fan of autobiographies the idea of someone who hardly reads writing her autobiography wasn't exactly comforting so I decided to keep my expectations very low. It turns out I had nothing to worry about because she obviously got an editor who knew what to demand from her. Her account is very personal, the text is flowing and the book is even made more personal with Grace's drawings, plenty of them, not to mention all the photographs.

If you are expecting philosophical ideas about the eras she has lived through then you better let go of such thoughts before you start the reading. Grace doesn't waste any time, she's not digging deep into things, there is no analysis, she is simply telling her story at a rather fast pace, but she does it honestly. She is not pretending to be someone she isn't and that is what I like most about her writing.

It may sound clichéd but if you are someone who fell flat for Grace in The September Issue (2009) documentary - for me she was the heart of it - then you definitely want to read her memoir. I haven't finished it yet but I'm already way into it. Sometimes when reading I even forget to drink my coffee and it turns cold in the cup. That should tell you how much I'm enjoying the book.

photo credit:
Lisa Hjalt

10 comments:

  1. I'm still waiting for mine. :( I hope it gets here in time for Christmas. I liked reading your thoughts on it and I can't wait to start reading my copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I received this book last week and I loved it! (I'll write a post about it very soon...) You are absolutely right about the fact that she does not make any philosophical reflection on the fashion world, but her narrative still gives such an interesting and personal insight in this fascinating world. I wish you a nice day, Caterina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Books are my favourite presents to receive! It's been ages since I read an autobiography so this has just made it to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hoping to unwrap this on Christmas Day, Lisa ;-)
    Books are my favourite presents...if all my family gave me books I'd be a very happy lady!
    Christmas Wishes,
    Catherine
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read this book! She definitely was the heart of The September issue! Happy reading. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I´d love to read that book, she seems very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the reminder, i have had "the september issue" in my netflix queue for so long and i keep forgetting to watch it. i am sure after i have i will want to read this book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is book is on my wishlist Lisa so I was very interested to read what you thought. Grace is such a genius, so reading about her perspective on all of the fashion will be fascinating. Sounds like I'm in for a good read! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello dear Lisa!
    Just passing by to wish you a Merry Christmas and a joyfull holday : )

    lots of love xoxxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes, I loved her in The September Issue, so I think this book is going straight onto my wishlist! Enjoy all your holiday reading Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.