Tuesday 29 March 2011

magazine moment

Yesterday, I had one of those drinking-coffee-in-the-sun-with-a-magazine moments, after I bought the April issue of Vogue Paris, Emanuelle Alt's first issue as editor. I don't claim to have the knowledge to review a fashion magazine, especially one in French, which I speak far from fluently, but I must admit that I was a bit disappointed, especially with Alt's editorials. There was a moment when browsing through it when I thought to myself is this really French Vogue? The photos of Gisele Bündchen are of course beautifully shot but I wasn't impressed with the outfits.

photo credit: Lisa Hjalt

I'm certainly not giving up on Alt yet. It probably isn't an easy task to replace someone like Roitfeld and the expectations out there are pretty high. I guess I'd be complaining too if she was keeping everything as it used to be. Let's consider this a souvenir issue.

In my opinion, the piece that stood out in this issue was 'Chas-ing Love', featuring two ballet dancers beautifully photographed by Bruce Weber. I find myself viewing those pages again and again with a smile on my face. There are also two interesting interviews that I would really like to be able to read but my French isn't good enough, one is with Nobel Prize Winner Orhan Pamuk.

After I "read" the magazine I decided to go online and see what others where saying and I found this wonderful (and funny too) review by Milla at Not Just Another Milla. She pretty much says everything I was thinking myself.

5 comments:

  1. This is the question I was afraid of: Is this really French Vogue? This issue hasn't arrived yet at the stands here, but I've just read Milla's post too (thanks for sharing) and I'm seriously thinking if I'm going to buy it. Of course some changes were due to happen to its content after Carine's departure, but I hoped they wouldn't be too radical, because it wouldn't be Vogue Paris. Ada

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm waiting for it's arrival here. I was so curious of the changes. I was hoping for a more seamless transition but we shall see. Growing pains :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say anything about it yet and I'm not an expert either, but your post definitely makes me want to go buy it and judge myself. Thanks for the link to Milla's post. You'll hear from me soon;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ladies, I hope I didn't spoil it for you. Looking forward to hearing your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a lovely picture Lisa! Looks like you had a great spring day reading your magazine :)
    And I need to find this one in a kiosk one of these days!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.