Monday 21 November 2011

k&a: brussels sprouts w/chestnuts, bacon...

See the reindeer in the photo? That's the one I got at the Danish Christmas Fair and I love it. Last year I searched and searched for a deer but didn't find any so finally I have one to put on my Christmas table.

Speaking of Christmas. I just posted a recipe of Brussels sprouts with chestnuts, bacon and parsley on kitchen & aroma. It's a recipe I adapted from the one and only Nigella Lawson. I've been making this side dish for years now and we all love it (of course it was part of our feast last Saturday). I saw Nigella making it on TV when she was preparing a turkey meal and I was looking for ideas for side dishes with our turkey. Now we would never even serve turkey without this. It's so common that people, especially children, don't like Brussels sprouts but mine love it. I think the reason is this side dish; it makes them taste so so so much better. Brussels sprouts are very healthy but I know the bacon isn't, and it's probably the only time you'll find bacon in a recipe on kitchen & aroma.

There is another side dish I always make with the turkey that has sweet potatoes and pecans (it's delicious!). I first tasted that one at Thanksgiving in Canada in 2009. I think I'll also share that recipe before Christmas.

I hope you are enjoying a wonderful Monday!

photo credit: Lisa Hjalt

14 comments:

  1. I actually love brussel sprouts - not many around me understand me but I find those little green ones to be delicious. :-) That looks yummy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh God! your recipies are divine!
    i think you should write a cook book!
    seriously!

    foggy smiles from Norway ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I only ever tasted brussel sprouts once and they were delicious (panfried) from a restaurant and then I bought some for home to match the taste but didn't know how to.. am always looking for different & interesting side dishes (for the ole roast you know) - so will have to try this one.
    Helen:)
    PS: cute reindeer
    PPS: I can just see you dancing to 'Rio'... you're too too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Brussel sprouts, my Father used to grow them on the farm in England, yummy recipe:)
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I will wait for the sweet potato and pecans recipe to try, as I don't eat bacon. But your table setting looks so lovely, Lisa! Wishing you a wonderful week! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious! And the reindeer is so sweet. As you mentioned in your comment earlier, Christmas in South Africa is very different in deed! We have plenty of sunshine so there's no gluhwein, snow, mistletoe or hearty fires. One day I'd love to experience a 'White Christmas'!x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Confession: I may or may not have made a scrunched up "ew" face when I read brussel sprouts. And though I thought about simply pretending that I don't like bacon and having that be the reason that I can't try it....well.....I think we have reached the point in our blog friendship when I can divulge my hatred of brussel sprouts, celery and also cooked carrots (I like them fresh!).

    There, I said it! *hangs head in shame*

    But I'm definitely looking forward to the sweet potato/pecan recipe, if you do post it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Anait: you are priceless! haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Anait.... I hate (is that too strong) cooked carrots!!!
    Helen:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awh I just love that reindeer! J & I are planning on decorating and getting into the Christmas spirit this weekend. We better get a move on because it will be here before we know it :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brussel sprouts re my fav veggie especially around this time of year- will have to try this recipe! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. We love brussel sprouts. Looks scrumptious.
    We have Thanksgiving on thursday. Maybe I should try that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a beautiful picture! I love the little deer in the background. Sounds delicious too, especially with the bacon!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.