Thursday, 8 December 2011

le parfum


I needed something to cheer me up and what is better than one's favourite perfume? This is the bottle I'm buying next time: Le Parfum by Elie Saab. To say that I've become obsessed with it is an understatement. I didn't really think it would suit me as it contains patchouli, which I'm very sensitive to, but the orange blossom and jasmine create that perfect balance. It smells so nice and, more importantly, it smells nice on me. The design of the bottle is also beautiful.

When it comes to perfumes I'm the one who finds a bottle of something I really like, and suits me, and I use that bottle almost until I finish it. Then I go searching for something else. I don't collect perfumes and I feel no need to own every scent I try. I'm very picky about perfumes and I don't like wearing something just because it's popular or new; it has to suit me. Also I don't shower myself in perfume like some women tend to do; I just like a dab of fragrance on my wrists and neckline. It breaks my heart to say it but some wonderful classic perfumes don't suit me at all and only give me headache, like Chanel N°5. Usually I love it on others but it's not for me.

Now I'm curious, do you have a favourite perfume and which one are you using these days? Some of my favourites are Femme by Hugo Boss, Dreaming by Tommy Hilfiger, The One by Dolce & Gabbana and I have a crush on the new scent from Bottega Veneta.

photo credit:
model Anja Rubik
photographed by Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott
for Elie Saab

PS. Why the cheering up? I spent the morning in misery, hugging the toilet bowl. I didn't even hold down water. Then I was finally able to get some sleep and I'm slowly getting my energy back. I guess this was something accompanying the cold I had. Don't worry, I intend to rest in bed; I promise not to paint any walls or chairs today!


16 comments:

  1. I'm the same way with perfume! I've liked Burberry The Beat and John Varvatos, but I'm currently on the search for a new scent. I'll have to check this one out. The bottle and ad are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this one, too, both the fragrance and the bottle and you know, I don't collect perfumes and can't wear Chanel either. I've been wearing the same perfume for 3 or 4 years now and don't feel like changing it because the smell makes me feel happy and cosy. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it seems that I'm joining the club, as I don't collect perfumes either. For a few months I've been wearing Burberry The Beat and it will last me a few more. But unfortunately I may be developing an allergy to perfumes and it will be very hard to pick my next one. Another favourite used to be Armani Mania. No Chanel scent works for me either. That's why I never buy perfumes for gifts and I really hate receiving perfumes, it's one of those things you have to buy yourself. As for those women showering in perfume, I'm sorry, but how can they stand themselves? Just a drop is enough. This should be written in the code of good manners.

    I hope you'll feeling better. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes - get better!!

    I do have 3 favourites; "M" (Mariah Carey), Warm Cotton" (Clean) and "Miracle forever" (Lancome). These three cover all my moods so I'm not looking for anything else - I don't change perfumes that often. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Lisa, just one favorite Chanel no 5.

    btw hopefully you get rid of the cold, yesterday I had it too. A colleague from work adviced me to eat, eat and eat, ha..have no problems with that, and it helps!

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am like you...not one to try every perfume on the market, especially since having a sensitivity to some botanicals. I prefer to find the "perfect" scent for me and I usually wear that one for years. My choice presently, "Versace". I don't like to "bathe" in it either, but love to catch a whiff often!
    Hope you feel better soon!

    xx Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Halló Lisa Hjalt, I like to change scent often. Now I have Flowerbobm from Viktor & Rolf. I Like it very much:)

    I also offen mix two perfumes together. In the younger years I had a favorite perfume! that was Giorgio Beverly Hills.I really forgotten how the scent of it was :)

    Kveðja frá Íslandinu góða
    Kristín Ketilsdótir

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have ever liked a handful of perfumes (Rive Gauche, Miss Dior) and a constant amongst the 3 or 4 has always been Chanel No19. I have no idea what new fragrances are available because funnily enough my hubby is allergic to perfumes (so that put an end to that!)... but sometimes when he's not around I spritz some on in the car...hehehe. But yes the bottles should look beautiful.
    Hope you feel better soon... must be something going around - I've not been well all week! I hate being sick so close to Christmas! There's too much to do...
    Helen:)x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't stomach any perfume at the moment (pregnant) and bought this just before I started getting morning sickness. I had to give it to my mum in the end. Can't wait to get my nose back! My favourite perfume is Alien by Thierry Mugler

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, Lisa if only...I married a man with scent allergies! But I do have some pretty bottles on the dressing table that never get used. I like Agent Provocateur and Coco Chanel, but admit I'm out of the loop with new fragrances. Happy weekend, my friend x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Åhhhh hope you are much better today ;o)
    Nice photo and what a dress ;o) The perfume sounds nice - I don't have many perfumes - I like buying them once in a while - but now I have to admit to myself that I don't use them - I end up with at headache when wearing perfumes all day long - so I only wear it when going to parties ;o/
    But I like the perfumes that are fresh and also buys it to my husband ;o)) now I cannot wear them myself ;o) hi hi Have a nice friday ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am picky too. I use Issy Miyakis au de toilet and have been for the last 6 or 7 years. This is my everyday perfume. For party I use A cobolt blue bottle from Dior. Dont remember the name of it, but I love it for late nights out.

    This weekend you can think of me when drinking your cofeeee. Flowing down the slopes or nose in snow can be your will of choise ;)

    Have a lovely weekend Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't use this perfume for my wife, your read blog surly i am buying perfume .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just one signature scent for me....Narciso Rodriguez (the one in the pink box). It's feminine yet sophisticated and my husband dosen't want me to wear anything else! (it takes him back to our time in France many years ago when I was first wearing it). x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I must try this perfume out, I LOVE Elie Saab.

    Hope you're feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I proved it yesterday and I liked but too sweet for me.
    Can you believe that I still feel the fragance on my wrist?

    ReplyDelete