Thursday 16 August 2012

artist kathe fraga & chinoiserie style


I recently stumbled upon the work of artist Kathe Fraga online and found myself enchanted by the beautiful chinoiserie style and play of colours in her work, which she paints in an old stone house on Bainbridge Island, Washington. She creates her paintings by using acrylic, ink, graphite and plaster on canvas, then each one is finished with a lacquered coating.

About her work Kathe says she is "inspired by the beauty and romance of old: vintage silky kimonos, hand-worked embroidery, lacquered little boxes, blocked wallpaper and panels from years ago, distressed with age, revealing a soft loveliness still … you’ll see layered colors peeking out behind one another—pinks, blues, lavender—speckles of gold, a wisp of glitter." She has lived in old cities and places in South America, Denmark, England and France and says the influence is clearly felt in her work.

On her website you can view her new work and the paintings she has sold. She also has a blog called The Art of Kathe Fraga.

greeting card collection based on some of her original paintings is available. The cards are printed on heavy matte stock, blank inside. I think those could look really lovely in a frame.

photo credit:
Remembering I and Remembering II by Kathe Fraga
(published with permission)

10 comments:

  1. I enjoyed browsing through her works. Beautiful paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tip!

    P.S. Antwerpen ist wunderschön!
    Visited this town two days ago!

    ♥ Franka

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first thought when I saw her paintings was blossom. It remembers me of Van Gogh, my favorite painter, with his amazing "Almond Blossom",painted when the child of his brother was born. Lovely discovery, Lisa :*

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! I've recently become pretty obsessed with chinoiserie. Off to see more of her beautiful work.

    Thanks for sharing, Lisa. I just love discoveries like these. I can always count on you for them :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her work is beautiful. I would love to have one hanging in my home, especially as it is so cold and wet here at the moment - a reminder of spring would be perfect. x Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh her work is so delicate and lovely. I'm not normally big on chinoiserie but I really love the colours she has used and the beautiful detail in her pieces xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very beautiful pictures!!!
    Hugs
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am currently day-dreaming about creating a beautiful feminine room to hang one (or more) of these paintings in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much Lisa for featuring my paintings here on your wonderful blog--I really appreciate it! All the best, Kathe Fraga

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Lisa,

    I also love Kathe's pairings. I'm lucky that, as she is a local artist, I see her work in person around town from time to time. It's always fascinating to look at up close.

    What fun that you featured her here!

    Hope you are well and not too hot. D is back from Europe, just before it started to get so hot.

    xo – g

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.