Wednesday 29 August 2012

notes à la mode 11

Constantin Joffé, Vogue, September 1945

It is the season of the September issues and I must admit that I find myself uninspired by most of the covers and editorials, not all of them, thank goodness. In my opinion the celebrities are killing these issues. (Lady Gaga on the cover of Vogue US, seriously Anna Wintour?) I have been flipping through some of the big magazines and viewing some online but so far I have only bought Vogue Germany and Vogue Paris. The latter had three covers this year and my copy features Kate Moss, a beautiful cover. It also has plenty of beautiful black and white photography that I really like. Actress Salma Hayek is the star of Vogue Germany and with all respect to Hayek I can only describe that editorial as embarrassingly bad, it is so forced somehow (well, I like this portrait of her and this photo is beautiful). I cannot complain about the cultural content in these issues, I'm really enjoying reading it, and I find many of the ad campaigns this year refreshingly good.

That said, today I'm going back to the age of beautiful editorials featuring models. These five gorgeous photos are available at the Condé Nast store, in the Vogue section, and where shot by photographers Constantin Joffé, Karen Radkai and Horst P. Horst. In the links below I'm taking you to Italy.

Karen Radkai, Vogue, March 1956
Karen Radkai, Vogue, February 1956
Karen Radkai, Vogue, November 1960
Horst P. Horst, Vogue, April 1952

NOTES À LA MODE 11 LINKS

  Today is the start of the 69th Venice International Film Festival. Those who tend to focus more on the red carpet than films during film festivals will probably be a little disappointed because Alberto Barbera, the artistic director of the festival, decided to downsize it this year, to focus on quality instead of quantity. There are only 60 films on the playlist and 18 are competing for the Golden Lion, which means there will be less stars on the red carpet
  For those interested in the films competing this year, here is the Guardian's take on the contenders in pictures
  Speaking of things going on in Italy, today the September issue of Vogue Italia will be available on newsstands. It has Carolyn Murphy on the cover, photographed by Steven Meisel. Despite my disappointment with the September issues this year, I think I'll get a copy of that one

photo credit:
for Vogue US via Condé Nast Store
6: Steven Meisel for Vogue Italia

9 comments:

  1. You already know my thoughts on the September issues and especially on the American Vogue. It's obvious that Anna Wintour has made it a policy NOT to feature models on the cover. Now why does she do that? They sell better? I'm sure it's one of the reasons, but I've said it many times: you have to educate a little your public's taste, no matter the domain you work in.

    I'll be buying the Italian Vogue, the cover convinced me (anyhow, that's the Vogue I buy mostly lately). I'll be covering the Venice Film Festival in my Notebook pages. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: the photos you've chosen are beautiful, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, that first photo is on my list to frame for my working space! And the third one reminds me of this year Longchamp advertising campaign. I am with you about Salma Hayek's editorial, really, but I am speaking about the photos because I do not understand German at all, some of them are too much even if Salma Hayek is such a beautiful woman, I do not understand the positions she was told to adopt, well, maybe I am too picky, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos are stunning! I especially like the one of the woman sipping a martini. There is something much more transporting about seeing models, rather than celebrities, in fashion photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with you, Lisa regarding the September issues, especially the covers. I remember back to the days when the model reigned and I always looked forward to those issues either arriving in my mailbox or at the newstand. I'm defintiely going to be buying Vogue Italia. It's a go to of mine and I was defintiely taken with the cover. Oh and all of these photos are just gorgeous, of course :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore the vintage photos! They are truly about the fashion and tell a story. Classic!

    Danielle xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful are those vintage images...timeless! I think Carolyn Murphy looks absolutely stunning on that cover of Vogue IT... it's a real nod to surrealist images of the 30s and 40s I think too! I'll have to check out the Venice Intl Films listing - it's always an interesting heads up on whats coming out to cinemas around the world in the next 6 months... :)x

    ReplyDelete
  8. that first photo is absolutely stunning. love it. thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful selection of images - all so stylish and chic.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.