Tuesday, 11 September 2012

the egg in the bedroom


Are you thinking the same as I am when you look at that photo? The Egg chair by Arne Jacobsen in the bedroom? I know that black gallery wall is awesome, but guys, the Egg in the bedroom! Most people are more than happy to have it in a place in their home where it doesn't go unnoticed.

For those who don't know the story of the Egg, it's a design by Arne Jacobsen (1902-1971), one of Denmark's most beloved architects and designers, and it has become a classic. In the late 50s he designed the Royal Hotel in Copenhagen and also the furniture for the lobby and reception areas. The Egg is one of those designs; shaped in a way that the person sitting in it gets some privacy.

Classic Scandinavian design is not exactly cheap but there is a hope for those who want to, but maybe cannot afford to buy the real thing. You can have an Arne Jacobsen style Egg chair for a much better price. I have a crush on this dark tan coloured one to the right, which is similar to the one in the top photo.

If there ever comes a moment where I find myself relaxing in the Egg in my bedroom, something tells me that at that point in time I will have done pretty well in life. In the meantime, I'll be fine with relaxing in this styled version. I bet Arne Jacobsen, wherever he is now, will understand.

photo credit:
1: William Abranowicz for Elle Decor, November 2002

16 comments:

  1. I love that chair, would love to own it when my finances are limitless... HAH! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's a beauty. I have a few mid-century classics on my wish list. I guess that's where they will stay for the time being...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This chair is such a beauty + it makes for such a statement piece in this bedroom. That black wall is so dramatic, but looks amazing with the gallery wall xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would do with the styled version too. :) I love the bedroom too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is indeed a design classic but because McDonalds have put replicas of it in the windows of their new style restaurants I sort of associate it with them now. Isn't that terrible?! I need to blank it out and picture this stunning Elle Decor shoot, instead! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you love that Egg! And I do like a dark wall with lots of framed prints...very dramatic:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that gallery wall! Someday, Lisa, I think you will be relaxing in that chair in your bedroom. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. A timeless classic though a tad too chunky for my taste. But that might be due to the fact that I've always lived in too small apartments:-))

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the Egg - and the swan as well actually:)
    Happy Tuesday Lisa, hope you have a great one,
    Axx

    ReplyDelete
  10. make it a Christmas wish, who knows..maybe you'll get it ;)

    denise

    ReplyDelete
  11. I usually dream about this chair in white but it looks amazing in that dark tan.

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks lovely in that color. Such a stunning design for a chair!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so lovely...wouldn't mind one in my living room :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is a beauty ... where ever ...

    ♥ Franka

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never really thought about it but I have never seen it used anywhere but in a living room or an office. It looks like it was made for that bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I'm loving this egg in the bedroom history. One thing i value most is privacy and this definitely goes in my bucket. :D Got my eye on your next posts.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam and deleted.