Monday, 5 November 2012

paris: the atmosphere at café de flore


Today I decided to take you to Paris, yet again, to a rainy day in the 6th district. Or let's call it a rainy moment as the rain came in the afternoon. One of the most wonderful Paris clichés is going to Café de Flore on the corner of Boulevard Saint-Germain and Rue Saint-Benoît. It seems as if for decades nothing has changed in there; as if you can almost expect to see Sartre and Beauvoir sitting there with their friends talking about philosophy. Or maybe on that day their spirits were over at the Les Deux Magots.

Café de Flore was a haven in a pouring rain. We sat outside under the awning, completely sheltered, enjoying coffee and the tarte maison, which happened to be a lemon tart. The café was crowded and the streets filled with people under umbrellas in a hurry. I think Café de Flore is one of those places that have become a second home to some Parisians. There were people sitting inside that looked so comfortable. It felt as if they had moved in. They were sitting alone at a table with all their stuff, quite oblivious to what was going on around them. I thought to myself, if I came back the next day would they still be sitting there?


It is a rainy day in my corner of the world, which reminded me of that rainy day in Paris. It's the ideal day to spend reading with a cup of tea or coffee within reach. As there are things that need to be done, it's nice to use the breaks for that. I hope your week is off to a great start!

photo credit:
Lisa Hjalt

11 comments:

  1. Your beautiful words took me straight to Paris. Maybe one day we'll have coffee together at Café de Flore. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks absolutely magical! a rainy day in paris sounds a bit more fun than the rainy day i am having at home :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh. The combination of your evocative words and photography transported me right to the City of Light. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merci for taking me back to Paris, Lisa. Just got back yesterday and already miss it big time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful. I spent yesterday in Paris. in mostly rainy Paris. went on a walk with Hemingway :) it's beautiful, isn't it! happy monday xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so wonderful Lisa, beautiful places to sit, drink coffee, read a book and dream, perfect rainy day.
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such lovely pictures. Enjoy the rainy day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh your pictures are taking me back Lisa....I loved having coffee and sitting here, watching the world go by was captivating xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cafe de Flore was on my list of cafes/restaurants to go to when I visited Paris last summer. Unfortunately, we didn't get the chance to go. When we did, the place was closed! It's still on my list for when I go back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always love escaping to Europe through your pics, Lisa! It's set in such a beautiful old building!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam and deleted.