Saturday 3 November 2012

shopping & a new cookbook


The weekend has officially started in this house with all the shopping done and a visit to the library. Today I got the candles we needed and I'm especially happy with a big handmade and yellowish one, with mild fragrance. It's looking so pretty on the coffee table. Yesterday I didn't find the throw I was looking for but I bought new covers for our winter duvets and new pillowcases, plus some kitchen items.

My favourite purchase is my new camera lens that I finally got today. It enables me to take better photos in low lighting situations. I feel as if it has taken me to square one in photography, that I have no idea what I'm doing, but that is actually a good place to be. It keeps one feeling humble.

Before I go into the kitchen to cook up a storm - I have promised dinner + dessert - I am sitting here with my latte, feeling grateful for my new things. Beside me is a big stack of books; some that I recently bought on Amazon and some borrowed from the library.


One of my new books is the cookbook Jerusalem by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi. (I already have Ottolenghi's Plenty and love it.) I cannot say that I read cookbooks from the beginning to end; usually I just find a recipe that I like and go from there.
This book, however, has a brief introduction on the food culture and history of the city of Jerusalem and I'm thoroughly enjoying reading it. What I also love about this book is how beautifully designed it is.

Have you dined at any of the Ottolenghi restaurants in London? I have never but it's definitely on my list. I have friends who recently had dinner at their place in Islington and they walked out in complete food bliss.


Have a wonderful weekend dear readers and blog friends!

photo credit:
Lisa Hjalt

4 comments:

  1. Even if I'm not a great cook, I love looking at these books for the inspiration and the amazing pictures. Personally, I am a big fan of Editions Marabout because they are super easy to follow and if you are interested in Italian cusine, I would definitely recommend this one: http://www.marabout.com/livre-les-basiques-italiens-pierre-javelle-313498.html Lisa, I hope you are enjoying a great w-e! Caterina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the lens :) And yes....definitely foody bliss at Ottolenghi :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots with your new lens, Lisa. Several people have recommended this cookbook to me, so I must check it out. Have a fantastic week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A cookbook and new lenses: I get the feeling we're going to be treated with some beautiful photography and styling. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.