Tuesday 9 April 2013

paris: notre dame on île de la cité

I know it has been almost six months since I was in Paris but I still have photos in my files that I haven't shared, or let's say I wasn't sure whether to share them, as the time never seemed right. Today the weather has been rainy and gloomy and it made me think of some of my Notre Dame photos.

Despite the magnificent Gothic architecture of the building, parts of it feel gloomy. To me some parts of it even seem a little creepy. Have you ever read The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo? Trust me, gloomy and creepy stuff!

Maybe the spirit of Quasimodo was lurking somewhere up there when I snapped these.

This last photo, taken on Place du Parvis Notre-Dame into Rue du Cloître Notre Dame, shows that in Paris there is always someone walking the dog, there is always someone buying flowers, and you can count on tourists almost everywhere with a map in hand or a camera. Or both.

photo credit:
Lisa Hjalt
- photos taken in October 2012

8 comments:

  1. I've never been to Paris so these pictures make me want to go even more! What a beautiful church!! =)

    Ergo - Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are incredible photos Lisa. We also visited Notre Dame on a grey and gloomy day and these photos brought those memories back like it was yesterday. I thought it was such a foreboding building – we spent a lot of time people watching whilst wandering around the church too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a gloomy weather here too, so these photos are just right for my mood. You've captured so nicely the Parisian atmosphere in that last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree on the gloomy & creepy bit:-) but that's what I like with this kind of sacral architecture, it is like from a novel or book…like from Victor Hugo as you said:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so depressed for you with all of the gloomy weather there :'( Spring just has to be coming your way soon! Thankfully, we are blessed with a sunny day and warm temperatures.

    What nice photography shots!
    And, you are so right...the one photo captures Paris perfectly; it says it all!

    Lisa E

    ReplyDelete
  6. Notre Dame may have a foreboding atmosphere but what incredible architecture.
    I particularly like the last picture, it gives a lovely insight into a Parisian street scene with simple everyday life.
    I do wish I could send our never ending warm weather to your side of the world and be able to feel and see Autumn here.
    Have a lovely day Lisa:)
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's probably the greyish skies that make the pics seem gloomy?... Though it is quite an imposing site Notre Dame - I didn't get to go inside when I was there as they were cleaning the exterior of the church but if you want gloomy and creepy imagine walking up a scaffolding and seeing those statues up close! hmmm very interesting:) PS: I love that story!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.