Monday, 16 September 2013

the plum season

We have entered the plum season and, unlike last year, it is literally raining plums in our garden. Yesterday I went out with a bucket to pick some and I made a crumble with almonds and maple syrup, served with whipped cream. It was oh so delicious!

When we are done eating all the plums we will have had our fair share of potassium and vitamins A and C. For those of you who are so unfortunate to be dealing with depression, I read somewhere that plums contain something, which I no longer remember the name of, that helps the brain to produce serotonin.

In the garden there are also mirabelles (Mirabelle de Nancy), as my neighbour calls them, and they are more yellowish. She uses them to make jam and we allowed her to pick as many as she needed. The rest has already started falling down higher from the tree and I would need a big ladder to reach them. Maybe I should just let our son climb up there; put his climbing skills to good use!

photo credit:
Lisa Hjalt

3 comments:

  1. I'm feeling so inspired by the richness of the colour in these plums, Lisa. Reminds me of the plum tree that stood at the base of our family home when I was a young boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos Lisa and the colours are so pretty. Enjoy the plums!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, you make me long for my father's garden. The last time I visited my parents, there was an abundance of plums in the plum trees, so I think I've had my share on share of potassium and vitamins A and C. :) I've recently heard that plums are even more healthy than blueberries, which are always so praised for their qualities.
    It must feel wonderful to eat fruit from your own garden.

    ReplyDelete