Tuesday, 24 December 2013

Happy Holidays



As I write this, I'm finishing my cup of coffee and about to start preparing the rice and almond pudding, a Danish dessert that has become a tradition in our household on Christmas Eve (we open the presents after dinner tonight). The turkey is in the fridge, waiting to be prepared as well. I'm ready for a delicious feast.

I visited my new friend John Lewis and bought a white tablecloth and white napkins for our Christmas table (I love their Christmas ad this year, about the animal that had never seen Christmas). I snapped a few photos yesterday when I was getting everything ready. The berry branches are old, I bought them in Iceland many years ago and they are one of the few things I kept when we moved abroad.


To me Christmas wouldn't be complete without an Amazon book package. This year A got me a few from my wish list: two books for the coffee table, Ralph Lauren (it's huge, filled with images) and The Natural Home by stylist Hans Blomquist. As I couldn't imagine Christmas without literature, I got a beautiful edition of Jane Austen's Persuasion, from the Penguin Clothbound Classics, which I'm collecting. And yes, there was some Downton Abbey too. Yesterday I got three books in the mail from friends so there will be no shortage of reading material in this house over the holidays.


*Looking for inspiration for the holidays? Check out my Christmas board on Pinterest

I wish you all happy and peaceful holidays with loved ones! Or as we say in Icelandic: GLEÐILEG JÓL!

photo credit:
Lisa Hjalt

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I've got the Christmas Carol book from the same edition as your Jane Austin one! Just love this classic style, feels like a proper book. :)
    Happy holidays! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I forgot to say, just in case you didn't know, that the Christmas Episode of The Downton Abbey will be on ITV at 8pm tomorrow. 2 hours of pure pleasure. :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been waiting for that one since the last episode of season 4 ended. I will be watching ;-)

      Delete
  3. I wish you a lovely Xmas time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you and yours had a wonderful and peaceful Christmas, Lisa. Books and films for Christmas are the best gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy holidays. I know I'm a little late, so it's more a happy new year than a merry xmas xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam and deleted.