Monday 13 January 2014

travelling to the Libyan Desert

These images by photographer Stefano Scatà were an eye-opener for me because I had no idea the Libyan Desert was an attraction for travellers. I mean it's not every day that one meets people that just spent their holiday in Libya. Tunis, yes, Libya, no! Especially given the current situation, which isn't peaceful. I was clueless that people had actually been travelling to the desert before the Arab Spring, and as I started reading more about it, it turns out that Libya has a real chance to become a future travel destination. Of course it depends on peace, which hasn't been secured after the revolution, and better infrastructure.


I don't know about you, but if peace were guaranteed tent camps like these in the Libyan Desert would be a real attraction for me. I'm fascinated by the desert landscape and the mood in these photos.


For those interested in exotic locations, I came across the website of Simoon Travel, an agency that was founded in 2004 "as a direct response to the emergence of Libya as a tourist destination." At this point they don't offer trips to Libya but their list of destinations looks quite interesting.

photo credit:
Stefano Scatà (photos 1-9 + 11 Magic Lodge Ubari / 10 + 12-13 Magic Lodge Akakus)

2 comments:

  1. I've been admiring Stefano Scatà's work for a while and I'm already a fan. I think the sunlight in Africa is different from any other part of the world and this unique glow is so beautifully captured on photography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. such beautiful photographs!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.