Wednesday 5 February 2014

notes à la mode 44

Georgia O’Keeffe-inspired editorial: 'Portrait of the Artist' · Lunch & Latte


Georgia O’Keeffe-inspired editorial: 'Portrait of the Artist'
The subtitle of this editorial reads: "Over the horizon of spring walks a new spirit, a movement in the direction of earthiness and handworked embellishment—the craft of the Navajo, the creativity of Georgia O’Keeffe." This is more than a fashion editorial showing various pieces from the spring 2014 collections; this one has the ideal setting and story, and leaves me inspired. Fashion editor Tabitha Simmons doesn't fall into the pit of dressing model Sasha Pivovarova in tacky, wannabe bohemian style, as I refer to it. The loose silhouettes, folkloric patterns and tribal jewellery are well chosen and blend beautifully with the colours of the New Mexico landscape, lensed by Mikeal Jansson for the February issue of Vogue US. I love that Donna Karan white caftan shirt in the second image and its stone-brown background contrasting the sky. And the Rag & Bone wide-brimmed fedora too in the third. That photo alone makes me want to travel to the south-western region of the US. Preferably yesterday!

I recently shared some of Sasha's artwork on the blog. Given her artistic background, I think she was the perfect choice for this shoot. Please follow the Vogue-link at the bottom to see the rest of the shoot and details.





photo credit:
Mikael Jansson for Vogue US, February 2014 | Sasha Pivovarova in 'Portrait of the Artist' styled by Tabitha Simmons (first discovered via Style Court)

6 comments:

  1. That dreamy skirt by Dries... If my salary were different, I'd be on the first train to Antwerp! Thanks for drawing our attention to this beautiful editorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the editorial. Le me add that I wouldn't mind hopping on a train to Antwerp myself and dropping by at Het Modepaleis. Love Dries.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous photography and I am loving the fishtail braids! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this photo shoot a few days ago and I liked that it felt so different than the majority of the most recent editorials. The styling is so beautiful and it even makes me consider a more bohemian outfit once in a while (I think my Isabel Marant boots will be perfect for this :) ). I love the Georgia O’Keeffe connection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That first top with what looks like handworked embroidery on it (is it Celine?) it escapes me who designed it but I love it and would definitely find it perfectly suited to my wardrobe (with dark pants) for a more urban feel. Lovely:)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.