Thursday 20 March 2014

Happy spring season!



Happy Spring! Because of the hyacinths, daffodils, and crocuses in bloom, our garden looks like a candy shop - the colours are amazing! Hyacinths bloom in early spring and the process is fascinating. It happens so fast! This morning I was going to photograph them properly but, unfortunately, the first day of spring in the West Midlands is windy and cloudy, and I have caught a cold. I will let these photos do for now. As you can see, we have the pink hyacinths called 'Pink Pearl' and I think the blue ones are 'Delft Blue' rather than 'Blue Jacket'. Then we also have violet ones called 'Ostara'. If there is a flower market in your area I encourage you to grab a bouquet. It will lift your spirits.

Do you want to extend the life of the fresh-cut hyacinths in your home? Keep the water in your clean vase lukewarm. Hyacinths not only drink from their stems, but from their blooms as well. Gently spray their blooms with water each day to keep their freshness.

A tip from Bringing Nature Home by Ngoc Minh Ngo


I will be using the next Thursdays to celebrate springtime on the blog. I have gathered images from some lovely photographers and stylists that have been dormant for too long in my folders. It's time to share them and maybe add a few flower tips.

I hope you, who are living in the Northern Hemisphere, enjoy a wonderful first day of spring!

2 comments:

  1. Hyacinths used to be my favourite flowers when I was a child and my father would bring me often hyacinths when it was their time. Every time I smell one it brings back happy memories. It must be wonderful having a garden in spring time and seeing how all the flowers and trees come back to life and sometimes the process is so fast that you may miss it from a one day to the next. It's simply amazing. Thank you for the tip, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy spring your flowers look beautiful, the colours are stunning. I love Hyacinths.
    Have a happy weekend and I hope your cold gets better very quickly.
    Wendy :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.