Friday, 4 December 2015

Sunset Song and latte



Are you getting ready for the festive season? I managed to catch a cold that kept me in bed for a few days and now I desperately want to go from first gear to the fifth and get our new home ready for Christmas, but I'm going to be wise and rest a little longer. After all, I already have my poinsettia and indoor hyacinths, and I have unpacked the important stuff - that would be the books and kitchenware. The other boxes can wait. When you move houses you're bound to come across things you had forgotten, even though they pretty much stare you in the face every single day. In my case it was Sunset Song, a Scottish classic by Lewis Grassic Gibbon that I read many years ago in a Scottish Literature class at university. It demanded rereading with my latte.

Because of the move to Scotland I hadn't been following the news much and didn't learn until after unpacking the book that a new film version, Sunset Song (2015), will be released in UK cinemas today. The director is Terence Davies (The Deep Blue Sea (2011), The House of Mirth (2000)) who also adapted the screenplay. The story is about Chris Guthrie, played by Agyness Deyn, the daughter of an abusive farmer who takes over her father's farm and is widowed during the First World War. Film critic Peter Bradshaw calls it "a sad, sombre, deeply satisfying drama" (The Guardian review). Check out the trailer if you are interested, or just to enjoy the Scottish accent.



RELATED ENTRIES  

4 comments:

  1. What an interesting book! I truly discover the most interesting books here on your blog Lisa! Glad you got over your cold! Happy festive season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Igor. This Scottish classic is actually the first part of a trilogy (I still haven't read the other two). I don't know if it's a novel for everyone; it depicts a harsh reality in rural Scotland in the beginning the 20th century, but I found it powerful. If you happen to read it one day I hope you won't be disappointed!

      Delete
  2. For the moment my reading list is limited to my courses (I am preparing a career change...) and the books which are linked to the courses (Diet, anatomy and natural healing books...) I miss reading other things... I also found that I have such a short attention span now, it becomes difficult to focus, so even when I try starting a book, it is difficult to keep along the pages...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you are taking interesting steps towards a career change, Stephanie. Good luck with that! I hope you'll find more time for leisurely reading in the future.

      Delete